View Single Post
Old 1st March 2020, 22:05   #45
pargyle

Rover 75 Tourers x 2

My wife and I both have 75 Diesel Tourers . mine is an 02 plate in Wedgewood with 98000 on the clock, her's is an 03 plate in gold with 89000.

Mine is my second one - the previous one was an 04 plate that was written off by a disabled driver in a brand new motability car who jumped a red light. She hit me at 40mph front N/S. I drove away from the crash (although I knew the insurers would write it off) .. her 3 month old Nissan had one wheel off the ground and looked like a tank had run over the front of it. Insurance paid up more for mine than I paid for it 4 years earliier and the replacement had less miles on it and cost me less than the insurance pay out I got ... I reckon over 40,000 miles outside of consumables it cost me less than 3p a mile to run .. what else would give that sort of motoring cost ?

We love them both .. they are not immaculate but practical daily drivers that do about 8k a year. Rarely let us down - had to do her front suspension last year - £300 and the aircon £200 but I have a superb independent mechanic who understands our affinity with them and whilst the money we invest in them doesn't make them worth any more what else can you get for this sort of money that has leather, walnut, aircon, cruise control, etc. etc. and still drives like a car half its age ?

I keep getting kids in hot hatches tailgating and I sometimes wish I had a V6 under the bonnet but I get 38 mpg so I just let them pass and sit back in my motorised armchair ... can't ask for more really ?

Who knows what will eventually replace it .. a Mobility scooter ?