View Single Post
Old 30th September 2020, 08:25   #23
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Just my part to add (Mostly echoes)
I had the pleasure of owning a 75 diesel club sallon (Heinz57) which I tastefully converted mostly to look like a ZT, and a proper 190 which had twin ehausts in stainless.
Both remarkable vehicles and each had its own attitude towards how they wanted to be driven as well as providing great experiences, but we know the V6 needs more attention due ro its design and seriously does end up working harder per mile regardless of speed accelleration etc. The diesel 75 needed very simple relaxed servicing and just simply kept on giving & loving it. As with all cars, they eventually get the hump, and begin to require some nursing, and we must remember they are old guys now and some of the designs were not the best offered in to the motor industry. So the best arrangement was the Diesel car did the hacks to work and back, the 190 did the weekend fun stuff.
But a warning to anybody if you dont mind me saying,
Having either or both will require age related works performed sills etc as well as many suspension component replacements etc. This will cost you a fair bit even just sourcing reasonable parts can be a suprise in the wallet before paying somebody to undertake the work fitting them.
In so many cases, repairs were deemed as prohibitive and sending the cars off for scrap would be the way things went, not least if the car had a recent history of £100s spent on it to then be requiring a major repair, the till kept ringing and the value of this legendry car dropped to almost nothing, so be warned any newbies, it will cost you but be proud to own something special and budget well for keeping it.

Finally - An exceptional car and very proud to have owned many in the past, but my suspension, sills and compensator cannot do all that it used to, so bought a more modern design hoping it will be ok and will get work carried out by anybody willing to mend it when it needs it
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote