View Single Post
Old 10th February 2019, 10:21   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I own four K series engined cars, and the only 75 I've intentionally bought, was an 1800T.

The diesel is a reliable engine, surrounded by poor ancillaries, the KV6 is an engine which is too complicated and fragile despite what owners of that variant will have you say.

1800 models are generally reliable, unless they have been through the hands of an uncaring owner, or have been bodged in the past.

Ford engine models are not without their own failings, but are so rare, as not to be worth considering in a poll of reliability, certainly when it comes to the prototype nature of these cars.

So it all boils down to what you want from a car?

1 Something that requires minimal attention, look to another manufacturer as MGR products are now getting too long in the tooth

2 Something to potter around the doors, any 1800 model will suffice

3 Something to potter around the doors, where fuel costs are not a consideration ever, a KV6

3 Something to do 20000 miles a year plus in reasonable economy and reliability, a manual diesel

4 something to park in a "circle of wagons" fashion a V8

The 1800T tourer I owned for several years, clocked up over 80,000 miles with my wife at the helm, the low speed fan never worked from collecting the car with 44,000 miles on the clock to parting with the car with 120,000+

I opened the bonnet once a month to check levels, never obsessing over coolant and was never bitten, the car was driven to the continent on several occasions, and never missed a beat.

The coolant was changed annually using blue antifreeze, something I have practised on every car I've ever owned, and this along with annual, or six monthly oil changes, depending on driving conditions, has stood testament to not needing the breakdown services.

The most unreliable car I've owned, the Mk2 diesel ZT, but whether this is just age catching up on it..........the most reliable car I've owned, 1995 214 SEi LPG fitted at 22,000 miles along with new pistons and liners to take the capacity to 1600.........current mileage 398,000 miles, but the body is now suffering terminal tinworm.

I occasionally put a battery on the lad and turn the key, just to hear him come to life on the button.

It all boils down to personal preference, I would never wish to own a V6, they are lacking in grunt, but by the same token, there are others for which a stone crusher is not the way.

Anyway, in terms of reliability, diesels top the breakdown charts requiring T4.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote