View Single Post
Old 20th October 2020, 08:01   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Rob,

Having done this job myself two years ago I can help with your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
I ... think with what I'd like doing I think it may have to be a job that is done at home. I'm considering doing all the belts myself with the help of my brother.

Quote:
... found the belt to be very dry and shiny ... I'm now dubious as to whether the belts have ever been changed. (Despite having some paperwork stating it was done)
Mine were the original factory-fitted belts and they were not shiny. Yours may have been renewed but the tensioner pulley may not have been adjusted properly. The instructions for this are not included in official workshop manuals.

So on to your precise questions.
Quote:
All 3 belts
Tensioner oem-q or Ina?
Idler pulley (how many?)
A good quality timing belt kit (for example Gates) will comprise the three belts, the tensioner pulley and idler pulley.
Quote:
Camshaft pulley bolts (how many do I need?)
If you're renewing them, four (two front and two rear). But having done this job the front pair don't need removing and you can re-use the rear bolts (unless they're damaged).
Quote:
Tensioner plunger? Is this the same as the tensioner?
The timing belt tensioner consists of two separate parts; the hydraulic plunger and an adjustable pulley. You'll need only the pulley.
Quote:
Camshaft oil seals(the two big caps?)
Remove the originals with great care and re-use them. You'll find stiff new end caps extremely difficult, if not impossible to fit with the engine in the car.
Quote:
Thermostat/housing (metal upgrade or original plastic?)
You won't be going anywhere near these parts. Are they leaking? If not, leave well alone.
Quote:
Water pump
That's up to you but bear in mind that some aftermarket pumps are poor quality so you could be swapping good for bad!
Quote:
Aux belt
Aux belt tensioner
Aux belt idler
Renew if required. How many miles has your engine covered?

There's a tool available from a company in Wales to enable you to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt in a controlled fashion and to re-fit it to the correct torque.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 20th October 2020 at 08:04..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote