Old 1st August 2019, 21:29   #147803
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Positive thoughts Phil.

Is it a progressive thing where as it will always grow or can the aneurysms not increase in size and stay as they are?

If they always grow are there things that you can do to slow the process down?
Hi Jeff, I take medication to reduce the pressure on the aneurysms. I am part of a monitoring program, hence the scans and vascular appointments. When I was first diagnosed, I was told they could shrink and for a number of years the AAA stayed at around 3.1, but last year I was told to expect it to grow. The surgeons both NHS and private refuse to operate before the aneurysms get to 5.5 cm. The operation involves carrying out a repair using a custom made artificial graft. Some patients die within 30 days of having the graft put in.

I had a second opinion at the Christian Barnard Memorial Hospital in Cape Town and saw a heart transplant surgeon. He showed me the graft they use and said the same things, how none of them will operate unless they have to or it’s in an emergency. He said to avoid high contact sports, no smoking, no excessive drinking, no violent sex and don’t let the woman jump up and down on you.

With aneurysms, there is no pain and most people don’t know they have one. It is known as the ‘silent killer’. It is quite easy to diagnose through a painless abdominal ultrasound scan. I recommend that all men and women over the age of 60 get a U/S scan done, it could save a life

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 1st August 2019 at 21:37..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote