Thread: Hi Line upgrade
View Single Post
Old 1st December 2015, 20:45   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Hi Line upgrade

Been thinking of getting a fuller sound out of the highline for a while now - posted a bit asking questions, but want some feedback on my latest idea.

In my garage from previous cars I have a set of Kenwood 13cm speakers, some Infinity 6x9's a Kenwood 10" sub in a box, a Fly active sub box with Magnat 10" sub installed (amp is a small Fly approx 100W RMS) and a Sony xplod 22w RMS 2 channel amp. I know the Highline doesn't have pre outs for the amps but the Sony amp will take a speaker level input if I can get hold of a cable.

I was thinking of either

1. Get hold of sony cable (link if anyone knows who sells them) and run the kenwood sub on it taking a feed from the BMW connector in the boot, earth and switched live in the boot, run a power cable from the battery through the car to the boot.
Not wired up an amp for years - will this work and which wires on the bmw connector can I take a feed from keeping the speakers in the car still working.

2. Source a 5 channel amp with speaker level inputs and preferably filters for the outputs so low pass on the sub, high pass for the door speakers and put the whole lot through the amp.
Will this work? Will the sound in the car be better with the lows filtered from the door speakers and provided by a sub in a box in the boot - I think it will but wondered whos done it. Again which wires can I cut into.

Decided not to replace speakers in the doors, the sound is fine, just distorts when you try to give it bass - should be able to go louder with the bass filtered???

looking for feedback on the ideas, links, experience of trying it etc.

Thanks

Gordon
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote