View Single Post
Old 17th February 2018, 16:53   #157
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Thanks, Mike Noc

As suggested, I'm (hopefully) uploading a photo of the secondary belt with the 2-litre engine locked in safe position and the front tools fitted. It can be clearly seen that the marks in the chainwheels are not lined up, and the rear tool will not therefore fit.

Therefore one has to remove the front tools and remove the locking pin to turn the engine slightly in order to engage the rear tool to change the secondary belts. I'm assuming this is what everyone has found, but confirmation would be appreciated.
I am quoting here from the Seeley tools instructions ......
"4.2.9. Some alignment of the exhaust camshaft will be required when installing the rear cam sprocket/belt assembly and therefore it is necessary
to remove and discard the oil seal from the front of the exhaust camshaft in order to fit the spindle from VS1290/01 Locking Tool. This seal
will already have been removed if the front belt has been replaced.
4.2.10. Fit the spindle into the front of the exhaust camshaft (location pin into slot in camshaft) and use it to carefully turn the camshaft to align the
drive slot in the camshaft rear to match the rear sprocket during installation.
Note: For this alignment application the pegs of the Locking Tool Assembly are not located into the camshaft sprocket hubs. Only the spindle of
VS1290/01 Tool is used.

So by their method you don't unlock the engine , just rotate the exhaust camshaft . That's the way I did it and it worked fine ; my v6 runs beautifully !