View Single Post
Old 18th February 2018, 22:39   #158
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I am quoting here from the Seeley tools instructions ......
"4.2.9. Some alignment of the exhaust camshaft will be required when installing the rear cam sprocket/belt assembly and therefore it is necessary
to remove and discard the oil seal from the front of the exhaust camshaft in order to fit the spindle from VS1290/01 Locking Tool. This seal
will already have been removed if the front belt has been replaced.
4.2.10. Fit the spindle into the front of the exhaust camshaft (location pin into slot in camshaft) and use it to carefully turn the camshaft to align the
drive slot in the camshaft rear to match the rear sprocket during installation.
Note: For this alignment application the pegs of the Locking Tool Assembly are not located into the camshaft sprocket hubs. Only the spindle of
VS1290/01 Tool is used.

So by their method you don't unlock the engine , just rotate the exhaust camshaft . That's the way I did it and it worked fine ; my v6 runs beautifully !
My tools are Sealey, but bought second hand off ebay so the instructions were missing.

I've now done the main belt but had not progressed further debating on getting new crankshaft pulley, but decided against ir having looked at related posts.

I've considered the Sealey instructions but think that on their own they will not work. Certainly it is the simplest way to turn the exhaust cam so that the pair of wheels with new belt can be fitted, but, as we have seen with the marks on the wheels not in alignment when the engine is locked, it is not possible to fit the rear tool to unbolt or tighten the rear wheel bolts. THere seems to be no option but to release the engine to allow the inlet cam to be turned that small amount so the the rear tool will fit the rear wheel on the inlet cam. Then the front tool (not engaged in the inlet wheel) can be used to rotate the exhaust cam so that the rear tool will engage the exhaust cam wheel as well.

I'm working on a 2-litre engine using the 2-litre tool and assuming the engine has the correct 2-litre camshafts fitted. Did you do the job on a 2.5 litre, and might the rear wheel marks line up on this engine when it is locked?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote