View Single Post
Old 6th April 2020, 19:17   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
My son’s bike needs a new wheel as the rear axle bearings have collapsed/seized,apparently you can’t buy the axle and bearing kits and a special tool is required to remove the axle anyway, which I don’t have. Has anyone got an old black mountain bike wheel 26 inch with a six speed gear cassette they no longer want? A new one is c£30 which I would pay, but he has almost outgrown this bike now and we will be buying a new one for his birthday in autumn, so not worth replacing the wheel with a new one as the bike itself would only fetch that amount second hand.
Unless it is some kind of fancy wheel, get some new bearings. Remove the axle by undoing the locknuts then the cones (which go into the ball race), then smear some grease into the recess within the hub, place the loose bearings onto the grease, until the recess has been filled with ball bearings. Pack with grease, and replace any caps. Refit the axle, and tighten the cones until they are firm, but the wheel spins freely. Tighten the locknuts, refit wheel and job is done - plus no more collapsing seizing wheel.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote