View Single Post
Old 15th July 2019, 20:52   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I really don't mean to alarm anyone on the cooker bayonet front they were a huge improvment on the old lead and copper pipe rigid connections and 99.9% of the time seal fine and they re designed for easy disconnection and reconnection by non professionals in exactly the scenario that you are talking about.

In the unlikely event that it doesnt quite seal off as you are living in the house no doubt you would smell any gas.

You can also get a drop of diluted fairy liquid in a cup and look up under the bayonet connection and dab some soapy water on the sealing brass plate to check if you're not too sure.

The very occasional problem is that the spring snaps the chamfered sealing plate shut slightly off centre once in a blue moon and it usually just takes a push up once or twice with your fingers to snap it shut in the correct position if it is slightyly passing.

Same with the cooker hose. Many customers get angry when an engineer insists on using and charging for a new cooker hose instead of taking the old hose off an existing cooker when a customer buys a new cooker. The reason is that over time as explained above, the line where the rubber goes into the brass collar on either end of the hose can sometimes start to leak.

I do strongly emphasis that these occurances are really in the very minority of cases and i only mention it because dealing with thousands of cases I and other engineers would have come across these scenarios many times simply because of the volume of bayonets and cooker hoses that we have worked on over the years.

Householders do not need to panic or assume that their connections are or will be faulty if disconnected virtually all of them will be fine.

If in doubt call an engineer.

Oh by the way, the worst ones for leaking are the awkward rigid connections on gas cooker hobs. The connections are so awkward tucked away in the corner recess of the hob that they are are a swine to tighten up and there's loads of leaks found on those connections.

Last edited by bendrick; 15th July 2019 at 20:57..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote