View Single Post
Old 28th March 2020, 15:40   #1
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Default Satisfying '75 jobs done whilst "locked down"...

I've just had a really satisfying couple of days whilst stuck at home!

Today, I replaced the rear drop links, mainly because of an advisory last year about one of the rubbers being slightly perished. Easy job really as I'd Plus-Gassed beforehand.
I had tried replacing just the rubber boot on the nearside, original, droplink but I wasn't happy with the fit so treated the old girl to a new pair of rear drop links instead (thanks to Mat at DMGRS)

I also replaced both rear rubber exhaust hangars, as they had a couple of splits appearing.

Then I adjusted the handbrake both sides so only 3 clicks needed to lock the wheels. Very satisfying job!

Whilst the wheels were off I washed, de-tarred and decontaminated (Korrosol) the backs and fronts then cleaned and treated inside the rear wheel arches with AG Vinyl and Rubber Care. I know ... I know ... but hey, they look good and now they match the clean ones at the front done yesterday!

And if you think that's a bit @n@l ... when I replaced the exhaust hangars I also attacked the rear exhaust box with Autosol Metal Polish and 0000 wire wool ... looks quite tidy!

Yesterday I checked my Autobox 2-4 Brake Solenoid resistance and found it to be within spec ... or at least it looked it on my wobbly style ohm meter. I might get a digital meter which would be easier to read I think.
Question .... do you need to disconnect the battery when checking the solenoids? I didn't .... what do people think?

I also changed the Auto Fluid completely, using the full flush method posted up on here. Used a neat little infra-red-laser-temperature-unit-thingy from eBay to check the temperature, checking the fluid level between 34 and 38 degrees. The previous time I changed the ATF I did it "whilst it felt warm".

BTW. I don't want to open up the "you don't need to worry about temperature" or "you don't need to change all the fluid in one go" debates .... it was just a satisfying thing to do and the laser gadget thing was great fun! I was temperature checking radiators, engine block, coolant pipes, central heating radiators, my cup of tea .... and mine and the wife's forehead to see if we had have a virus!

Whilst I was under the car changing the ATF I also changed the engine oil and filter.

So ... all in all a very productive couple of days whilst under lockdown.

The back is aching like mad after grovelling around outside on cold concrete, but tbh I'm feeling a little bit smug having done all that!

What's everyone else doing/done?

Stay safe, all.

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote