View Single Post
Old 16th September 2016, 17:40   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White horse View Post
had a look at the fan, 4 wires leave the control box and go in to the fan, would that be a 3 speed fan?
Yes, you have the earlier 3-speed system.

Quote:
The fan control box has three relays(?) inside. I have disconnected the wiring to the fan, the piggy back job on the chassis rail, if I reconnect that and try the demist test I should hear one of the relays click, would that be right?
All else being in place, yes. The relay should trip power to the (slow speed) fan. The usual cause of this problem is failure of the motor brushes.

Quote:
Also, no sign of a resistor, the usual mounting point shows no evidence of holes ever having screws in them. More evidence of a three speed fan?
Yes, the resistor is only present in the later 2-speed system. The fan guard bracket is there but it won't ever have had a resistor on it.

You have two options. Try to rebrush the motor or replace the whole shebang with a later 2-speed system (or the aftermarket alternative), including control box (all plug and play).

If the fan tests failed to run the fan at any speed at all, then I reckon your chances of recovering the old motor are pretty slim. Examine the commutator if you fancy a go.

There's a Howto rebrush the motor and recommended suppliers if you do a key word search using the Google based search system: https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?hl=en&c..._YDw#gsc.tab=0

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 16th September 2016 at 17:43..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote