View Single Post
Old 6th May 2021, 17:04   #44
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That was a good question Alan. They're M10, but the spanner size has been increased from 15mm (OE) to 17mm (current). So I have bought two BZP nuts and reluctantly I'm going to have to get out the hacksaw.

I've tracked these down and measured them. The threaded rod is 21mm long which is significantly shorter than the competition and yes, on the NS strut I can get a 17mm ring spanner over it! But on the OS I can't.
Why the difference? The strut is basically the same for both sides but with the ARB link mounting hole drilled in a different position. On the OS it is closer to the spring, hence the reduced clearance. In addition, these parts are not made to a precise tolerance.

I think you were very lucky with yours Stan!

Simon

The problem is caused by the spring seats not being handed as such, they have two protrusions for the link seats for the hole to be drilled for the top link bolt, either protrusion depending on n/s or o/s, yet the first coil stop is in the same spot.

The result of this is that on the o/s leg, the bolt hole is approx. 90mm from the spring stop and the height between the link seat and the bottom of the first coil is approx. 20mm.

On the n/s leg the hole is on the opposite protrusion approx. 45 deg away from the o/s hole and approx. 160mm from the spring stop and due to the coil obviously rising it is approx. 25mm from the link seat to the bottom of the coil at that point, 5mm higher than the o/s.

The measurements are approx. and the angle I did by eyeball, but the difference isn't obvious until you have a pair of legs side by side.

Hope this helps, off to give the legs and some other bits and bobs a waft over with a couple of coats of epoxy primer.