View Single Post
Old 27th November 2021, 21:52   #70
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default What do you see when you look at pictures of those migrants and their families?

I see people who will work as hard as anyone to make ends meet and in their young I see future doctors, scientists, kitchen fitters and so on.

I don't have a clear view on whether the migrants should we welcomed into the UK or turned away. I do understand the view held by some that they have different customs, values and norms which may/would dilute or conflict with the British way of life and norms. But then I came from a different culture yet my boss of one time used to say to me that I was more English than he was. A French friend also used to get annoyed that I was 'so English'.

The one thing I am sure about is that 'the problem' will not be solved by saying the migrants are a French or EU problem. These people actually want to come to the UK. Those who wanted to settle in an EU country have applied to do so - large numbers of them. The solution I think lies in our government working with the governments of the migrants and potential migrants origins to educate their citizens that the UK is not the place where their dreams and aspirations are going to be realised.

This article provides useful information on numbers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53699511

To highlight the contradictions and complexities of the whole issue of immigration, my brother and I used to work in a PCB making firm during the summer holidays whilst at college. Between us we were able to cover for anyone on holiday as we could run any of the machines or workstations in the firm. There was one person who always used to leave newspaper cuttings saying foreigners should go home on his table whenever we stood in for him. Yet his aspiration was to go and live in Spain at retirement, which he and his wife did when they retired!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote