Old 21st December 2015, 21:35   #4387
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, that's about it

Much much much easier than the alternative, so as I have a bad back at the moment and lying on a cold windswept driveway I was quite happy to try it, after all no one would blink an eye at a clutch being changed on the car doing the same with the front subframe which is much heavier

Brian
I havent done this before, but seen the font of all knowledge, 'the YouTube Video' on a spring change. The guy had it jacked up, pulled down on the arm, and the spring more or less twisted out, with it being uncompressed by its arm being pulled down. Does this not happen? Or was it because the guy in the video used a lift? I bow to your experience on this, I am being curious, and definitely not questioning your experience on it compared to YouTube!

Incidentally, if there was concern about the weight being held by the two bolts, a jack surely could be placed under the mounting point wound up just as the weight was being taken. But the bolts take a lot of that weight anyway, since the springs are acting upwards to the fulcrum of the arms. Maybe even more, as it would be pulling down at the fulcrum, each time the roadwheel moved upwards?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote