View Single Post
Old 12th March 2021, 10:41   #17
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Hi again Nills, the tool I mentioned in post 8 would have pulled the inner race off.

Because you have a press, another way would be to make several diagonal splits with care across the race with a 1mm cutting disc, making one slit a couple of mm wide then use the press and a sharp chisel split the race, this could also be done manually with a chisel and a heavy hammer.

When using either of these methods care must be taken to cover the bearing with some heavy cloth to contain any flying splinters and it goes without saying that good quality safety goggles, not glasses must be worn.

One thing to remember is that sometimes we learn a lot of things by our mistakes.

It's also nice to see a kindred spirit with the attitude of " I bet I can fix this " .

I had your puller in mind when I wrote the above. However, I do not believe that I can insert the tool into the gap of 0,2mm without risk of moving the flange at the same time, due to the pressure needed.

I have also changed my mind and will first install the bearing in to the casing after the oil seal, since it should give me more control. Then press the flange onto the shaft leaving 2,8 mm of the shaft visible (see post 1). Then press the shaft into the bearing/oil seal, until I have 0,2 or 0,35 mm left, measuring with a feeler gauge. Probably use a rubber mallet the final millimetres since the press builds up pressure and I will lose control.

Seems like we share the same view on learning the hard way and common sense :-). My congenital curiosity has given me a thick forehead due to all things learnt the hard way. However, I would not give it away for anything and by age I have learnt to be nicer to myself :-).

Have a nice weekend / Nils