View Single Post
Old 19th March 2021, 14:08   #54
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Been having a similar issue with my ignition for a few weeks, struggling to insert the key and steering lock not engaging. Armed with cleaner, cloth and cotton buds, I sprayed prodded and poked, removing quite a bit of blackened cleaner, key was easier to insert but still no steering lock. Then whilst wiping a bit of cleaner from the black plastic outer ring I pressed the silver key slot and it moved back, clicked and hey presto the steering lock engaged, now each time I remove the key I have to push the key slot to engage the steering lock. before I go removing the barrel, has anyone any idea why it's doing this?
the key feels quite sloppy when inserted, so I suspect worn pins, but I don't think that explains part of the barrel attempting to escape. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks. Lee.

Hi I've no idea if this will help.,but I started this thread after experiencing the same problem. My vehicle has only done 42000 from new and on the day in question everything was fine, when all of a sudden I couldn't get the key in the barrel! I found that with a tap of my hand ,and I do mean a light tap the key would insert but it was a rough entry, like you say were some of the lock springs suddenly misplaced and poking into the barrel?, dont know, but car started OK,withdrew key, found wheel lock inoperative.!!!
Removed the barrel and key inserted smoothly,no obvious signs of damage to either the barrel or steering column. The white plastic plunger I found was locked in the up position, only when key was turned to drive position, but when key was turned to removal point the white plunger was then free to enable me to press it down by finger when it locked in place flush with rear of barrel!!
Placed barrel back in car (with white plunger locked in down position)found wheel lock was on!, Operated key and started car, then shut down. Wheel lock inoperative.
Once again removed barrel ,the first thing noticeable was that white plunger was in up position. Replaced barrel , Put the key back into in barrel (with now required tap of hand)having not touched the white plunger, the wheel lock was now completely inoperative..

A new barrel, plus new keys, plus new door lock (to match new keys) cured the problem!

Why it happens I have no definite idea, but these are my conclusions, under normal circumstances when everything is working as it should, its my contention that when key is turned to drive position the white plunger is locked UP to prevent wheel lock engaging, this is done by the barrel mechanism. The wheel lock is a spring loaded ring in the steering column which can be locked UP by slight pressure (the white plunger)or will trip Down to lock wheel when pressure released.

So although I couldn't prove it by inspection, I know that the barrel in drive position actively locks the white plunger up to release wheel locking, equally on turning off ignition, the barrel mechanism should retract the white plunger to enable wheel locking to engage. So what ever is going wrong with these ignition units, it is something terminal in the barrel, how else could a replacement barrel etc cure the problem?
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 19th March 2021 at 14:16.. Reason: more info
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote