View Single Post
Old 8th June 2021, 13:31   #7
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

It's not just BEVs that have this, so do new petrol cars, I know I've got one, had it a week tomorrow. So far the info transmitted only goes to the manufacturer, who offer their own insurance, but who knows what the future may bring. The system also downloads software updates automatically and traffic, road, weather conditions etc.

You can switch it off but then you don't get the updates. You are supposed to inform all who drive it so they can make their minds up if they want it on under privacy laws. A separate profile can be created for each driver to log into so if they want to they can decide independently. Personally I'm not bothered and I get the updates which can be useful.

The car has loads of kit, cruise,auto braking, auto lights with auto main and dip, sign recognition etc. Some of it useful all the time, some some of the time and some not at all. But you can switch it on and off.

Worst thing it has, which thankfully in mine can be turned off but in the future cars may have this as a permanently on fixture, is SPEED LIMITER. You set it to the max speed you want to do and then other than in limited circumstances will not let you go over it. In some cars it can be linked to the sign reader so you can never speed, not yet sure about mine. This I understand is European plans shortly for all cars and it will be adopted here too..
Auto brakes work between 19 and 105 mph and radar and camera picks up cars moving or not, pedestrians,cyclists and tight bends. Heads up display goes red car sounds alarm and if you don't react by steering or brakes it puts them on.

If you change lanes or drift towards kerb etc without indicating the steering wheel vibrates, if you do nothing the computer takes over and steers the car back. It also measures the distance you are from the car in front and if your breaking the 2 second rule it tells you on the heads up display..
Most is turned off but some I will use sometimes.

The car has two performance programs, sport and eco. In both its always assessing your driving and tells you, if you want to know, your score. Checked mine yesterday with car in eco mode and gave me 100% after driving around the city, with all aids off except brakes.

Last edited by RobSun; 8th June 2021 at 13:35..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote