View Single Post
Old 27th March 2023, 21:19   #60
Carole N

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Default Ignition key difficult to insert - will leaving key in barrel cause problems?

Hello, could anyone give me some advice please? An old problem has recently resurfaced and it’s very concerning.

Lately it has been almost impossible to get the ignition key into the lock on the steering column of my T reg 75. It would just go in a few millimetres but hit something hard. The steering lock is on. For the last two weeks I’ve managed to wriggle the steering wheel gently but firmly towards the left and at the same time carefully try to insert the key after spraying a little WD-40 silicon lubricant into the barrel. It has worked then I’ve managed to get back-and-forth to work but I know it’s getting worse. Someone suggested leaving an ignition key in the barrel full time. I’ve reluctantly done that today and put a steering lock on the steering wheel but I’m wondering if this is wise after all. I read somewhere it may drain the battery.

I also read somewhere, though I can’t find the post again, that’s if left this problem could lock the steering while driving the car!

I’m not able to do very much at all on the car myself because I don’t have the know-how. I’ve owned the car for over 20 years and very reluctant to be beaten by this. The last six months I’ve had one problem after another and it’s been very challenging to get things fixed but one way or another they’ve got sorted. I really don’t want to have to let it go.
Carole N is offline   Reply With Quote