View Single Post
Old 25th November 2018, 21:59   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

• a two inch split in the front tyre inner wall, marked up but ignored-----tested with other wheels fitted?
  • brake fluid seeping from both central pipes-------unsurprising when people "dress up" brake pipes prior to test
  • both rear brake pipes badly corroded-------as above
  • leaking front shock absorber---------one pothole is all it takes
  • split in front drop link boot--------could well have been ok when tested
  • broken rear spring---------as above, to be fair it is quite difficult to spot sometimes
  • rear caliper springs both missing--------I'm sure this has happened to me before
  • horn not working--------both buttons tested?, or in the case of the plank who tested my 75 a few years ago, did hitting the badge on the airbag with the heel of his hand, not make the desired "parp parp" noise
  • And what should have been two advisories of near limit tyres--------not on the MOT test tyres.

Just to put this into context, four years ago I had the ZT tested, clean sheet.

Drove home (three miles) and after I parked up, I noticed the car had a distinct port list.

So after a cup of coffee, I jacked it up and found a nice new shiny break in the front spring

I had a second hand one which I fitted as a temporary job while I ordered a pair of new springs.

A couple of days later, as I wasn't using the car, I loaned it out to a local member while repairs were carried out to his 180, only to have a call from him four days after he took custody, to say that there was a twang, and the other front spring had snapped.

Fortunately the broken end of the spring was about 1/16 " from the top of a sub 500 mile Dunlop SP Sport 01, and after fitting a space saver, I drove it home to fit the new springs which had arrived that morning.

What I'm trying to say is the test is only applicable to the items tested at the time, with the exception of corrosion issues, where a three month time limit is applied to items such as sills, floors etc.

If the rest of the car is ok, then you put right the faults and congratulate yourself on having the presence of mind to have the car checked out so soon after purchase.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote