View Single Post
Old 24th September 2018, 07:13   #10
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
another thought is that its idler or waterpump bearing. Im unclear if you used the timing tools or not. if you didn't and left them static then its possible that there is far too much tension on the belt either side of the waterpump.there are many variables to take into account between belt swops and components used on the job each time. once the two bolts are undone this allows the floating cams to give a much more balanced tension throughout the belts length. if not it puts the bearing under duress.this is one of the reasons I use the tools. many members have done this job without the tools successfully. its still a lottery without as many have then gone on to complain of waterpumps failing early sometimes this could be part of the reason. there is also the issue of nearly dry bearings from new. i.n.a or not things aint what they used to be !! keep us up to date if you find anything else !! regards xsport
Yes timing tools used as I can achieve better alignment/fine tuning on the rear timing belts using the them. Plenty of gap between the hydraulic tensioner, and the roller tensioner which I checked and checked again after rotating the engine.

Of course the roller tensioner factory setting was an issue many years ago when the it came preset and the installer was not supposed to have touched the adjustment. Lesssons learned since then resulted in a bulletin from INA helped make for more reliable installs.

One other thing which makes me suspect over tension is the manufacturers writing on the belt has vanished in the space of perhaps 6,000 miles, i would normally expect to see some faint writing even on a belt way past it’s sell by date.

Doesn’t sound like a bearing tbh. Possibly my imagination but a higher than normal tension on the belt is my thought, by a belt that is singing to me, but caused by?

Interestingly I understand that there may be a ultrasonic based tool available to the professionals that can monitor belt tightness?

Last edited by Lovel; 24th September 2018 at 07:18..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote