View Single Post
Old 9th December 2018, 17:00   #10
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Always been interested in the electric car industry, just heard that 'Dyson' (of vacuum fame) is in the throws of designing his own electric car and with his usual no-nonsense approach to design and implementation it will definitely be a winner, all other manufacturers better sit up and take notice, he's a clever chap and my guess is ... he's going clean up.
Sorry about that, couldn't resist it.
My wife works for Nissan and the 'Leaf' is a good car tbh, very well made and full of tech wizardry, the previous model did around 125 miles on a charge, the new 2018 model now does 250 miles on a charge!
It's the range that's the all important thing with these cars, battery life /efficiency is getting better all the time and apparently Nissan is at present in talks with world suppliers of batteries and car manufacturers to hopefully homologate the size / power output of batteries, so... you drive your car until it needs a charge, pull into a Tesco's / petrol station / motorway services or any other place that will use this system of 'like for like' pre-charged /conditioned batteries have it changed while you have a cuppa and off you go.
It will work on the principal of a 'pit stop' just like filling will fuel.
If all car manufacturers agree to use half a dozen different size batteries dependant on vehicle size and specification, it will work quite well I would imagine. A bit like when unification came in for tooling and fasteners... the motor industry benefitted enormously from that.
So basically ... all your fuel stations no matter where they are at present will be battery change stations.
Personally I think it's a definite step in the right direction for the electric motor industry as a whole.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote