View Single Post
Old 26th April 2021, 15:00   #25
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello everyone

I had hoped my last input on this subject would be to report on success...

Unfortunately this has not been the case and I wonder if any of you can offer further advice please? There was an initial delay as it took the mechanic time to create the space in his schedule to bring the car inside and change the slave cylinder.

He replaced it and at the same said the old unit was in very poor condition, as though great, undue, force had been applied to it. He cleaned the shaft and I left it with him to fit the gearbox etc. (expecting a fairly quick phone call).

And then:

He fitted it and still could not get any hydraulic pressure in the system. He connected one of the (two spare) master cylinders we now have to try and diagnose the issue by attaching it directly to the slave i.e. missing out the new one fitted in the car; but with no success. The "spare" has pressure as it releases a fair amount of fluid when not connected and pushed by hand. He also changed the master over again in situ in case there was a problem he had missed.

He is highly experienced but totally baffled; and is taking the gearbox out again to see if he can spot anything. He is also losing work as a "one-man band" with space for a single car and my wife and I need the car back as we are fearing the worst for its future.

As a novice, I wondered if there could be a problem with a faulty pipe or union or if there is a potential issue with the gearbox or clutch as indicated by the poor condition of the old slave cylinder?

I apologise for asking again but if you have heard of anything similar or have ideas about how he should proceed at this stage I would appreciate your help please.
XRayLee is offline   Reply With Quote