Thread: Lancaster
View Single Post
Old 26th June 2022, 18:17   #2
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

To volunteer for a tour of 30 ops when the losses were around 5% (i.e. you would statistically last 20 flights) was incredible bravery (although I doubt the figures were widely known at the time).

My father was an engine fitter with Bomber Command (and later the Fleet Air Arm), I remember him saying that he soon stopped making friends with air crew as they came and went too quickly.

As an aside, the ground crew also had a pretty poor time, much of the servicing was done out of doors, in all weathers and up a very long ladder (have you seen how high the engines are on a Stirling?) and more ground crew were lost to flu than fighter pilots were lost in the Battle of Britain (have to say I'd rather die of flu than being shot to pieces).

There are many books & films on the subject but for me the stand-out hero has to be Leonard Cheshire VC
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote