View Single Post
Old 11th April 2021, 06:06   #8
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Watts and Volt Ampers both show the power appliance is using. Formula for power is U= I x V. Since I is current measured in Ampers and V is voltage measures in Volts, term VoltAmps is used.

Difference is in fact that in case of DC power you can use Watts without problems.

However when you are talking about AC power you need to be careful. Do you realy get 230 Volts from power lines into your house? I do not think so. That is the reason why it is always said that voltage is 220V-230V . Point is that VoltAmps represent actual power used from your appliance. If you have number of ampers from your appliance and multiply by 220V you will get one power and if you multiply by 230 you will get another power. That is the reason why it is said VoltAmps - this is actually warning to take care of what and how you are using it.

Also, if you are making any calculations of AC power, you need to have reserve in these calculations, meaning you might take more power if power lines distribute more than 230V. This also could happen, and in that case you need to be sure something is not burnt.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote