View Single Post
Old 12th April 2017, 08:29   #1
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Lower Sill. Abortion of a repair

As some of you may or not know, I recently purchased a LWB, in Metalic Silver
There was a faint bubble coming through on the drivers side lower sill, so I thought no real problem get it back to metal and make good, not my cup of tea, so put it into my regular garage, who I might add trust.
He does not do this work, but a little workshop a couple doors away renovates Morris Minors, agreed to do the work.

It went in last Wednesday, picked it up yesterday, My mechanic rang me up last Thursday telling me the bubble was worse than it looked and he has taken photos of the abortion of a repair that had been previously done, outwardly it looked okay nothing seriously to worry about.
After grinding the area down the hole got bigger and bigger till in the end it was at least 15 inches long, it had been repaired with two pieces of tin cut from could have been baked beans for all I know, these had been put into the hole and and secured with some sort of glue then expanding foam injected into the sill.
Was then had filler put over the top and sanded down, primed and sprayed.

They had to take off the chrome sill off because the rust had crept underneath it.

As far as I know this car had been in the ownership of at least three forum owners in the past, and they are far from regular users on here, so I dont really know them, the guy who repaired it has said this is not a private drive job so had to be from a garage, he saved all the bits that he had taken off, and looking at it he has made a really professional job, I have four photos of the bodge before it was repaired being on Whasap I don't know how to put them on here. in general I really love this car it is something I had worked up to. disappointed is to say the least, I shall be at Ragley Hall this weekend and Eden Camp later, if anyone wants to have a look please feel free to have a chat.

Rev Jules,

If any one knows anything about this car, or knows about the work done.
Contact me!!! work done
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote