View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 17:17   #6
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcar View Post
Can anyone please tell me how to change the case on my car key? I bought two new cases as the button part of the case has perished. The original car key ( metal bit that goes into the door) won’t pull out. Is there a video that shows you how to do this? Thanks for any reply. Alex (bigcar)
Ok the way I do this is to prise the case open and take the electronic board with the battery attached out and put it away safely.
Put away the other half of the case which contains the transponder ensuring this does not fall off.
Boil the kettle with water and switch it off before it starts to boil like mad pour enough water in a suitable container and put the half of the case to which the blade is attached, leave for 10-12 mins to soften the plastic enough to enable you to wiggle the blade out of its attachment take your time and it will come out with the rubber collet attached to it, loose the collet or damage it badly and the game is over. Then push the blade into new case, soften in hot water as needed, transfer the electronic over, and transponder into new other half of case and close case, then test on car the ensure it works. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote