View Single Post
Old 20th October 2019, 15:27   #30
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing green rover View Post
Yes stone cold on both occasions there wasn't an hiss when i undid the expansion tank cap nor was there any bubbles or smelling of exhaust gases. Iv had a combustion dye test done on the coolant not long ago and it stayed blue.
Fan on my car cuts off at 95
My self installed temperature gauge on the incoming cooling line started fine, but dropped slowly, the heater got colder and the engine got hot. I stopped and checked the expansion box. It was full, no pressure in the system. Top of engine cold but in the V it was sizzling. That happened a coupe of times, and in spite of water in the expansion box, it could take quite a bit of water when you poured it in. It was clear I was losing water. Eventually I blew into the expansion box and the water disappeared into the cooling system, and gurgling and steam ensued.
Eventually I found the problem, namely two minuscule holes in the two metal pipes in front of the cooling system. They were really tiny, only really a small spot of rust, and they did not leak at all times. They must have sprayed a fine mist that I did not notice once the engine was started and got up to temperature.
I bypassed the oil cooler and the two pipes, and the problem was gone. I later removed the oil cooler all together.
I thought at that stage that it was a head gasket!
It was luckily not.