View Single Post
Old 29th November 2019, 12:23   #36
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Readers could misunderstand that Alan. We are discussing coolant temperature here, not air conditioning. The radiator fan operates according to coolant temperature in any mode; 'Econ' or 'Auto'.

Ambient temperature does not affect the opening temperature of the thermostat and that's what's at stake here. Your experience with a diesel may be different because they are notorious for having thermostats which open too early (so I'm told). Kaiser will have problems because he's fitted an 82 degree thermostat to his metal housing. That will open too soon in winter temperatures and, coupled with the cold ambient airflow through the radiator, will keep his temperature in the low eighties when it should be in the low nineties.

The thermostat in the KV6 should be an 88 degree type which will ensure a running temperature above that and an efficient heater.

Simon
I was discussing coolant temps, but the op mentions driving with it in econ(not to mention checking the fan not operating in econ mode - which you alluded to without clarifying the fan only runs when ac is used) , one can assume it is at a temp of around 22 degrees, which will cause the engine to take longer (petrol and diesel) to heat up. Ambient temp does matter, as the engine will be surrounded by cold air, absorbing heat, not to mention the thermal capacity of the metals of the block. A cold block would take longer to warm up etc. I doubted this, but it is after three winters, a valid point to consider. It affects it by the time it takes to warm up as well as the driving style. All internal combustion engines are.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 29th November 2019 at 15:49..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote