Thread: Engine cooked
View Single Post
Old 29th November 2019, 15:57   #37
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Jim,

It's safe, but your engine is running too cool. This will affect oil temperature, fuel consumption and heater performance.

The thermostat's spec. is to begin opening at 88 degrees. That means that coolant temperature will rise to that temperature and not drop below it. Your engine is not behaving like that. The obvious conclusion is that the thermostat is faulty; it is stuck open, but before removing it I would be tempted to check that there is no air lock in the cooling system by draining, bleeding and refilling it according to the MGR procedure. Have you asked your garage if they did this?

I don't understand your train of thought here Jim. From your description I can see nothing wrong with your radiator fan operation in 'Econ' mode. Basically when 'Econ' is selected the air conditioning is off and when 'Auto' is selected air conditioning is on.

Simon
Hi Simon,

Sorry about my ignorance on the 'econ' operation this appears to work ok.

Yes, the coolant was drained etc according to the MRG recommendations.

In respect of the thermostat, the fuel consumption has definitely increased and again today the temp hovers at 84 deg C 70 MPH @ 2300 RPM. I am going to get the garage to replace the thermostat which I shall obtain from DMRG.
Thanks Jim
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote