View Single Post
Old 31st December 2020, 12:11   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
Knights of the British Empire should be residents of it.

Not sure that Monaco fits the bill.
what about Members of the British Empire? (David Coulthard MBE )

But Hamilton does have homes around the world not just Monaco. He pays his US taxes when he is based in his US home at the winter.

I am definitely not a fan of Hamilton, both on and especially off the track. He has accomplished much on the track, and has deserved most of it. He pushes the boundaries of sportsmanship and has been allowed to get away with it - so I cannot blame him for that. The most recent being proven by his comments after coming back from his illness whilst not being 100% - coming back so soon was fear of being shown up by Russell.

But if he chooses not to live in the country, yet is given a knighthood, or other award, then that is the responsibility of those who issue them, not ours to whinge about. One thing to consider though, is in terms of F1, he is considered British, and he does highlight Britain by his achievements, no matter how hard he tries to appear American.

His racial protests are not protests against race, but protests against discrimination against black people (which is both admirable and understandable). He would have my support had he joined the rest of the F1 fraternity once they got their act together, and protested against all discrimination - but then he would have been accused by his influencers of selling out, and that would not have done any good for his 'music' and fashion career.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote