View Single Post
Old 30th September 2021, 22:37   #1
ardenconny

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 75 KV6 breather freezing?

Hello,

I have so far enjoyed around 200mi of trouble-free driving with my fixed transmission. However, as we are closing in winter, the car is going back to the shop to get a new thermostat equipped, as the car still has the original thermostat installed. My 45 had an iffy thermostat during last winter, and that was definitely not fun, so I thought not to redo my mistake in that regard.

However, I‘ve read from numerous forums, that the breather piping on the KV6 engine has a tendency to freeze and in worst case, cause a quite of a headache and an expensive repair bill. Is there a way to make this problem disappear? I have the mask cover for the car, but as it is the cars first winter this north, I am worried that it won‘t be enough.

Users in the Finnish Rover forum (Rover Friends Finland) have told this issue occurring, and so far no one has provided a permanent fix for this. Apparently there has been a shop in Finland that has equipped KV6s with a breather pipe heating. No concrete proof has shown me exactly how they accomplished this and I remain quite disbelieved about this solution ever existing. And when I asked about this solution on the forums, I just got replies from LandRover people giving me absolutely no good answers at all, ugh!

I also bumped across a thread that suggested fitting the engine with LR Freelander 2006 KV6 breather pipes, as part of the BD127EX service campaign. However, the BD127EX to me sounds more like a British ZIP code, than an actual part number. And google seems to think that too, as the code provides no concrete search results. Am I onto something here or am I completely wrong? Can the 75 even be a semi-reliable car during winter, or do I have to whip out the 45 again?

PS: I wouldn‘t ask about this, if the car wouldn‘t spit so much water out of the exhaust on every cold start. Last winter we had temperatures below -25 Celsius, so the water has a very high chance of freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owner of Conny, a 1999 model year Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 KV6 Auto. She was born on the 21 of April 1999 at 11:30 and was 34th car built that that day.

* This vehicle was the 1,500th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
* This vehicle was the 26th 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur in Arden Green Pearlescent (JBR) with Deepsea Green interior to be made out of 545
* This vehicle was among the 24 75s in that spec that were exported to Finland
ardenconny is offline   Reply With Quote