View Single Post
Old 6th January 2022, 10:32   #72
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Exhaust camshaft front oil seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
They say the ones supplied are an improved design which shouldn't pop out like the old ones are prone to.
What are the fitting instruction for these? Which way round, any lubrication or sealant, how do I press them in?
Hi Stewart,

First of all the original and correct fully enclosed seals are not "prone" to popping out. I have fitted one new and one used seal to my car and both remain firmly in place years afterwards.

The difficulty lies with inserting them evenly throughout their circumference. The internal reinforcement makes them non pliable and the sealing requirement makes them an extremely tight fit, even when lubricated. I have however been present when a long woodworking clamp was extended between the cap and the rear of the cylinder head. This technique was quick and 100% effective as it provided the desired pressure perfectly distributed over the cap's area. I'd recommend the purchase of one of these.
The OEM caps pop out only if they haven't been inserted fully and evenly after service.

The ring-style seals which DMGRS has sent you are not "improved", they are just different and remove the difficulty of fitting the OEM part. Their disadvantage is that they leave the end of the camshaft exposed to the atmosphere so it naturally becomes rusty. I make no apology for saying that I find this abhorrent and would not want an engine of mine to look like that for the sake of the price of the fitting tool I described earlier.

You have the facts now Stewart and you can make your own choice.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 6th January 2022 at 10:54..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote