View Single Post
Old 1st June 2010, 17:20   #17
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Yes I know several officers that have done drivers for "Driving without due care and attention" by going way under the maximum speed limit.
If you are causing a tailback you can quite easily get booked.

In the states this is a common booking offence for travelling to slowly and causing a jam.
This is exactly my point - if you are driving on an A road (single carriageway) like I was and the speed limit is 60mph and you choose to drive at 40mph - you should take cognisance of those behind you and allow them to overtake and certainly NOT get aggrieved when they do so. The dawdling driver is as much as nuisance as the speeding driver and they are undoubtedly a CAUSE of frustration that undoubtedly leads to additional risk taking by those following.

To be crystal clear my experience was on rural A roads and miles upon miles of them hence 20mph of a difference is VERY significant in terms of my ability to cover distance.

I am NOT advocating excessive speed but what I am advocating is that people have a right and expectation to be able to cover distance at the legal limit and therefore NOT be excessively impeded by those who wish to dawdle. Yes they are well within their rights to dawdle at whatever speed they wish but they should NOT impede those following who wish to drive at the legal limit and they should leave sufficient gap to allow following traffic to pass.

I have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest with this one!
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote