View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:53   #12
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
How does this intelligent charging system differ from a standard system Jamie?

I always thought that overcharging a battery was not good for it's health, of course things have come along in leaps and bounds since the Lucas 15 ACR, but I'm confused as to how increasing the voltage can help????

Surely if you increase the voltage, the current flow also increases, which could potentially boil the electrolyte and overheat the plates in the battery?? or is this too simplistic a view.
To be honest not entirely sure how it works. I just remember someone mentioning the voltage increases as the battery gets older. I don't think it would be a huge amount.

Or it might be that it simply doesn't charge the battery if it thinks it is full, reducing the load on the alternator. I'm not entirely sure how it all works, I just know that if you fit a new battery you have to tell the car it is new, and it you change the size / type you have to change the VO to reflect this.

The IBS does have one nice feature, when the voltage gets a bit low it turns off all the extra electrical items that aren't needed to try and keep enough power in the battery to start the car.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote