View Single Post
Old 18th June 2020, 18:09   #47
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
How old is your friend Dick, Alan?

I'm just curious as the last HRG left the factory in 1956, he must be knocking on a bit now

You may have not noted before, I was talking about cars which require an MOT should be taken for one.

Even in the case of an MOT exempt car, I would suggest it is a good idea to have it tested periodically.........I don't care how good any owner might think their car is, it is always a good idea to have an independent inspection carried out

I have a beautiful Tecalemit decelerometer which I use both in my older fleet, and modern to check braking before presenting for test, but I suspect most people won't have access to this type of gear.

Only yesterday I was changing tyres on one car, Goodyear Grand Prix S, these were not in any way "a major contribution to road safety" far from it.

Looked fine, lots of tread, but the inner sidewalls were disintegrating, so how many people who's mobility isn't as good as it once was, would look at the shiny paintwork, the polished chrome, and the pristine outward visible part of the tyre and pop to the shops, or a show, or indeed anywhere?

How many cars are there lurking under dust sheets in garages, that are used sparingly I wonder?, and as to a car that has not been independently inspected for 15 years, and the condescending remark about the ability of a current MOT examiner, smacks of the sort of self congratulatory foolishness that is often seen at classic car shows.

I pride myself on being able to maintain my car to a relatively high standard, but I'm not as foolhardy as to think I know it all, nor dismiss as unnecessary what is after all simply a fresh pair of eyes that may spot something I've missed

Brian

Dick is a very young 94 he moved up to Forres to work for the Rolls dealer but after he had bought the old dentists surgery and house the dealership changed the conditions of his employment.
Dick set up his own business servicing Rolls and Bentleys. The dealership that had taken Dick to this part of the world closed within seven years of Dicks move. Dick has two other interesting vehicles a WW2 ambulance and a personal carrier from the same time, he has been threatening to give it a new radiator core for the past 25 years as it overheats after 40 miles.
Dick is the old school engineer who has forgotten more than most people will ever know. He assures me that he will live for ever. Though we both know that will not be the case. Sadly when Dick goes all his knowledge will die with him, In just the same way that went Duncan passed all the knowledge he amassed with Bradford and BL was gone for ever. Duncan left his young wife his original midget, his Jupiter and Javalin. His two Austin Rover concept cars, the third cooper s built and his mid engine metro which he designed. There was also his daily transport a fully stage prepared Japanese thing. There was also a traction engine in the big barn.
Duncan passed nearly ten years ago now. Both him and Dick were from the same time. A different kind of engineer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote