View Single Post
Old 30th September 2021, 08:02   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You CANT say it won’t be leaking until it’s removed and inspected ...
I would agree with you Andy if you had written "... removed, inspected and tested ..." but no-one, except me, has done that. Having then discovered that the housing seam has not, in fact, split, who has had the confidence to refit it using just new 'O' rings? Again, no-one except me. In addition to doing this several times with my own car I've recently done it successfully with another member's car too. So I believe that I CAN say that the housing won't be leaking because it's well known that the cause is the flattening of the 'O' rings.

Regarding your other suggestion of a "break in the plastics", as Billy rightly says this can happen on removal of the old parts until the right technique is discovered to avoid it. The risk is also increased using the "keyhole" method so, if asked, I would always recommend removing the manifold chamber and one inlet manifold for full, unimpeded access and visibilty. Unfortunately such breakages can be incorrectly attributed to failure in service when they have, in fact, occurred during the removal process.

Have a good day Andy.

Simon