View Single Post
Old 4th April 2022, 10:04   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
... my mechanic cannot get any fluid through the new pipe he fitted.
Hello David,

Fitting a new length of brake pipe and bleeding the system is a straightforward task. If your brakes were working normally before this work was attempted then any problems have to be down to your mechanic I'm sorry to say. It's not normal for a brake master cylinder seal to be "pushed inside out" by normal brake pedal operation.

To answer your questions in reverse order:

Quote:
C) can this job be done without access to a T4 system?
Yes. When the brakes are bled (with the engine not running) all the valves in the ABS modulator are in their default position. This is effectively the same as a length of plain brake pipe. There is therefore no necessity to drive the modulator using T4 for normal bleeding operations. If the modulator has been replaced then it may be a different story.
Quote:
B) Is it likely that I need a new master cylinder
You need a considered and accurate diagnosis David. What you have at the moment is a guess involving speculative replacement of parts at your expense.
Quote:
A) do the informed minds in here have an opinion on what can be done?
If this problem has occurred whilst your car was in the care of your mechanic, he is responsible for rectifying it free of charge to you.
Quote:
... am I correct that if the master cylinder is replaced it will definitely need to be plugged into a T4?
No it won't definitely need to be plugged into a T4.

Is he saying that he cannot obtain a flow of fluid from all four bleed nipples or just the one supplied by the pipe he's replaced?

Did he start the engine at any time after the repair work had begun (this may trigger modulator activity)?

Has he used Eezi Bleed as suggested by drewbie? If not, he should.

Good luck!

Simon