Old 13th October 2020, 17:16   #18
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianM View Post
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid I'm nowhere near Kent, so that likely won't be an option! Would you mind sharing what yours was in the end, please?
Here's what mine sounded like - more of a knocking than a grinding (noise starts at around the 18 second point):

The knock would only occur when the engine was stone cold, and only for a few seconds (1 minute max), after which all sounded fine. Opinions ranged from tappets, main bearings, idler / tensioner noise etc, however Russell used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and correctly identified it as piston slap. He suggested the engine would probably out live me and was nothing to worry about at this stage, but being a picky so & so I wanted the noise gone, so he pulled the engine apart and sorted it .

It's worth mentioning, Russel is mobile and has been known to travel a fair distance for jobs. This week he is due to be in Liverpool (though I guess that plan may change with current restrictions). Having said that though, I guess a long trip just to listen and diagnose may not be the most economic approach.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote