View Single Post
Old 24th October 2020, 12:37   #14
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

As promised "the fiddling method" Note- my seats are electric. 1. adjusted the seatback rake as far forward as possible-concentrates the weight? 2.adjust the seat forward to reveal 6" of the seat rail. 3.Remove the L & R rear m10 set screws. 4. Adjust the seat back to reveal front L & R m10 set screws. 5. remove the front m10 set screws. 6. carefully adjust the seat forward to reveal 6" of seat rail(as per 2.above). 7.Place 4"H&6"L wooden chocks under the front seat rail which runs across avoiding the electric motor which is mounted centrally. Note: Under the seat is the Bowden cable for the seatbelt adjuster, this about 4" inboard of the outside seat rail and there are electric connection at about the same distance from the inside seat rail. So my "newrails" had to be inserted straight! under the seat frame from the rear to avoid fouling these two. 8. Inside "newrail" first- Gently tip the seat forward and slide the "newrail" under the seat rail, and gently tipping to the Left-when its about 2/3rds keep moving forward but now need match the two holes in the bottom of the "newrail" with the fixed threaded spigot nut. This done I inserted the 70mm set screw about two turns. Now I did the same with the outside "newrail" and again inserted the 70mm set screw. Make sure the four spigot nuts are in the "newrail" and engage the two rear set screws fully but do not tighten. 9. adjust the seat as far as it will go to the rear to reveal the front fixing holes. Engage the two front 70mm set screws. A bit of gentle pushing and pulling to make sure all is ok then tighten the 70mm set screws. Thats what I did. Part Two- Useless?useful information gained. Original fixing bolt is posidrive not Ribe. Bolt is M10, 35mm long with 20mmdia x5mmdepth head. Fixes into a captive bolt in chassis which is spigoted and this spigot (14mm od)? engages with a 16mm hole in a 8mm depth small reinforcing plate?which is fixed to the bottom of the seat rail. The bolts have Loktite on them. The fixing points are located on raised islands in the chassis skin and you have free space below the spigoted nut as follows : Front LH 60mm RH 70mm. Rear LH 65mm RH 42mm. I am still considering the merits of securing with eight(8) bolts as mentioned ie bolted to the floor through bottom of "new rail" and the seat then bolted to the top of the "new rail" ? Any stress Engineers who can help? Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote