View Single Post
Old 21st February 2009, 16:34   #13
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwijnstok View Post
Hello Kaiser,

I had to fill my coolant a bit every 2 weeks, and I have found out today that my thermostat is cracked. I can’t see where, but there is coolant in the V part of the engine. Hoses seems to be good.

I have an appointment with Lates on the second of May, for cambelts, and thermostat replacement but I am not shore if it is save with easy driving, and keep filling up. I will give Lates a ring today.

So you will understand that I am more interested then I was yesterday with your metal thermostat housing, any news yet?

Best regards Rob.
I used my car with this problem for a few months for the very simple reason than I had no time to look for it. If you have to top it every two weeks no worries. In december last year I had to do it daily, sometimes two times a day. The annoying part of the problem is that you have to keep an eye permanently on the temperature gauge, the risk to ruin the engine because overheating is huge, because nobody tells you when the crack becomes larger to loose the coolant in minutes; and I assure you that this will happen.
I wish I had a metal housing but couldn't wait until somebody had one made for sale. I could have done it myself, I know enough people who could cooperate to make one (including myself , excuse my modesty...) but I had doubts that I could find a certain market. (It's obvious that it is not worth the effort to make one, regardless the chosen technology).
In lack of a metal housing I reinforced the new part with an epoxy based belt, hopefully it will last longer. If you are interested to give it a try I'll search and post the link.
Until then: one eye on the temperature gauge and good luck !

Edited: what about a plastic one, but assembled with screws instead the welded joint ? I can do it but it is limited to 130 Celsius temperature resistance. And it will be...white

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 21st February 2009 at 16:41..
workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote