View Single Post
Old 11th January 2021, 10:37   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
As of 2004, the gaskets hadn't been 'improved' in any way I can see. The elastomer (is it silicone, or something else?) simply peeled off the metal exactly as seen (yet again) in Kaiser's photo. The are many HG failures with exactly the same cause.

As for the OAT debarkle. I'm waiting to see the effects of 50% OAT on the elastomer that peeled of my own gasket. Obviously, immersion in OAT at room temperature isn't the same as the hot/cold environment of an engine, but if there is a chemical instability, it WILL show eventually. Chemical reaction rates double (approx) for every 10°C rise in temperature, so given enough time, if OAT dissolves/plasticises/etc the polymer used here, it will become apparent. After six months I see no effect. My feeling thus far is it's an adhesion problem. Perhaps OAT compromises the adhesion bond energy rather than the polymer itself? I bet Kaiser's engine (above) didn't have OAT in it??

TC
You lose that bet T -Cut. We bought it off a lawyer that had it maintained by an authorized MG-dealer until it went to an enthusiast garage. They followed the service plan to a T. We bought it exactly because it was so well maintained. Did about 500km in it, and the gasket went. That is one of the problems with these cars, the other is the suspension system, which I re-built. Now it drives as new, again! Except for old fashioned anti freeze!!
And, just to add, there was a lot of "gravel" in the radiator. I got about two or three spoon full of rust like coarse sand, after flushing the radiator. The temperature dropped by about 20 degrees on the oil temperature and went from slightly over middle to slightly under on the water!!
I guess that rust came off the liners?

Last edited by kaiser; 11th January 2021 at 10:40..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote