Thread: Drone Delivery
View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:44   #6
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

I'm completely in the dark as to how this works in the real world. I've read various articles about it but can anyone fill me in on:
What is the range of these things? Do they fly from say, Amazon's distribution base 50miles to deliver a parcel, or does a driver go most of the way and park up to send out a drone to each of his deliveries in the area one at a time?
I've read that this will be a boon for 'remote areas'. Unless these things have a humongous range, nowhere within range of a distribution base is going to be that 'remote' is it?
I've also read that an advantage will be '30 minute delivery from ordering'. Again, how will that be achievable? Unless these things fly supersonic, 30minutes isn't going to get you very far from base.
To me, this seems one of these ideas that someone has thought "that sounds really cool", but will be totally unachievable in the real world. Anyway, I'm waiting for the first 'matter transfer' booths to become available. Then I can order, and within 2 minutes, my purchase is zapped straight to my home