View Single Post
Old 24th September 2018, 19:30   #1226
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Recently whilst sorting out 'weak' gas struts on a caravan lift up/store under bed I came across a firm called SGS engineering in Derby IIRC. Bottom line with my bed struts was that they tested them to be ok but someone had put a heavier mattress so SGS were able to increase the pressure and now I can lift the bed with one finger.

Now the point I am leading up to, if I got them to increase the gas pressure in my boot struts surely would give me a self lifting boot lid so I asked the question.The response was as follows:

'In regards to adding more pressure to the rover 75, this would only be possible with a spring assisted mechanism like on the newer Mercedes and BMW.
We are unfortunately unable to help on this occasion. If you put more force in them it would only cause it to lift faster once past the counterbalance point.
In doing so, you can bend the brackets and may cause additional issues. A spring assisted is the only way to achieve this and we do not manufacture those at this moment in time'

The guy I spoke to at SGS was Nick Ludwig who was very helpful.
Hope this may be of some help
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote