View Single Post
Old 9th August 2021, 18:13   #568
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Home, and glad to be.

The plan was for a reasonable early start with Michael. It almost went smoothly but Michael got in a right two and eight. He “lost” his hospital appointment, not going till the 18th. So the house was turned upside down looking for the piece of paper. It was sitting behind the clock. Panic over.
Banana was loaded up in the rain and off we set at 08.10. First stop was at the Shell garage to get some Banana juice.

The A1 was wet but we made it to the M25 ok. Lots of variable speed limits, lots of stop start. Soon onto the M4 and we was away. Michael was ok, it’s his first long car trip for over 3 years. Reached the A34 junction with no issues. Banana was running sweet.
Zoomed down the A34 to the A303. And everything was running ok, very light traffic. We stopped at “rip off” Starbucks coffee at Weyhill services. We used the loo and bought two teas.

We had taken sarnies and had the last of the Belgian buns. With the tea drunk and the rubbish binned we was off. The traffic came to a standstill at Amsbury. It then took us 45 minutes to get past a field with stones in it, aka Stonehenge. Banana did not like sitting in the traffic, the fan was cutting in and out and then she started to over rev. If I blipped the loud pedal it settled down again.

Every time we came to a halt so she would over rev. I was going to stop in a lay-by to let her cool down but each stopping place was full of overheating cars. The traffic cleared a bit and she settled down again, till the next jam. Basically it was stop start all the way to Honiton.
But once on the M5 she settled back into her Warp Factor 3 mode. Michael was totally unaware of the problem and I didn’t see any reason to tell him.

We hit torrential rain on the A30, reduced our speed to 25 mph with front and rear fog lights on. Stayed like that till we got to Exeter Airport, then the sum came out.
Onto the M5 and again onto the A38 and Warp Factor 3 mode was reinstated. Cruised without any issues right up till we hit the traffic jam trying to get over the Tamar Bridge. Although we was stuck in traffic the over revving didn’t come back.

Soon pulling up outside home. Took Michael inside and showed him the kettle, tap where we keep the water, container with the tea bags. Left him to make the tea whilst I unloaded the car. Easier to do on my home. Got everything in, and the tea was made. I showed Michael his room and explained the house rules.
Tea was drunk and we went shopping. Took the Bear to give her a run. Let Banana cool off.

We was going to eat out tonight but have decided to eat in. Lamb chops, beans, baby corn on the cobs. Melon for dessert.

Banana covered 734 miles virtually trouble free. Happy with that.

Thanks for reading. Keep safe.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote