View Single Post
Old 24th August 2021, 09:56   #570
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Great to have company, but...................

................................ it's better once the house is yours again. Once I had returned home after taking Michael home, I did stay over to see my niece. The spare bed was stripped and then put back under my bed, fold away legs. Lots of washing to be done, doubtful we could put it out as it was raining, so onto the horse to dry out.

Elizabeth had been allowed home after her hospital scare, chest infection. But has since phoned me. It was nice to hear her voice but her breathing is very labouring. So not on the phone for long. Instead she sent me an email telling me that her dad's house was now sold, only on the market for three days and she got the asking price. The plan is to move out of London and buy a bungalow in the countryside. I sent her a few estate agent links down here in the West Country, just to get an idea on house prices.

In the email she told me about the fiasco that her uncle, Roger, had been through. He was in quarantine in New York when he suddenly disappeared. Smuggled out of America and turns up in Jamaica to be with his wife and children. Flew to Canada before getting a flight to London. But the Americans were after him for fleeing the hotel. He was arrested as he got off the plane at Heathrow. From here on the news is a bit vague. Wife and children are holed up in a hotel in New York. Roger? No idea where he is.

My garden had been neglected for nearly 3 weeks, so let the weeding commence. That was 3 bags taken down the tip. Then grass cut and hedge trimmed, another 3 bags to go down to the tip. Still plenty to do now that summer has made a welcome return to Cornwall.
I have started attending some small MG/Rover meets. Either Bear or Banana are taken. Banana's over revving is caused by the throttle body being knackered.

Matt has cleaned the throttle body out but the fault lays with the MAF sensor. So a new throttle body is on order plus new gaskets. As soon as it arrives Matt will fit it to Banana.
"The Sprout" which Matt bought off of Ian G has been sold onto another forum member, "Daisy Dawlish". Tania & Mark already have a 75 Tourer, "Bluebell", in Ski Blue, there is a 2nd 75 Tourer that is being stripped as it is rotten underneath.
But Matt took a few parts off of "The Sprout" before selling it on. And Banana now has "Redfive/Sprouts" headlight covers.

Since the "Cambelt" incident on April 21st 2021 Banana has covered another 3,000 miles. All thanks to Dave Linc's and Cable Tie for all the work carried out. My love for the car has been rekindled. I'm so glad that I have so many friends within this great club to help out.
The Bear has been a great back up car, OK so she likes a drop of Bear juice occasionally, usually once a week. But Banana is still my first love

Our itinerary with Michael, all in August.
4th. Staying with Michael in Totteridge. Went to the Orange Tree up on Totteridge Common for dinner.
5th. Bob's funeral, a much missed Best Mate.
6th. Flowers for my Val.
Then with Michael we drove to Waddeson Manor near Aylesbury, National Trust. Another cream tea for Michael.
7th. Lazy day. We went to lunch at "The Green Dragon" in Barnet. Simply gorgeous food.
8th. Off up to Earls Colne to visit my god daughter, Kirra, and family.
9th. Returned home to Cornwall with Michael. We ate at home, I cooked lamb chops, taters n veg.

10th. Off to National Trust at Cotehele, took the Bear. Michael had a cream tea. Out to dinner at the "Crooked Inn" at Tremanton. Turned out to be the best dinner we was going to have over the coming week.
11th. Drive out to Mount Edgecumbe/Cremyll and back to Anthony House, National Trust. Then onto the Cottage tearooms further down the road towards Jupiter Point. No cream teas to be had, sold out. So Victoria sponge cake and tea. Sat out in the garden, and it rained. Very different.
Out to dinner at "The Rod and Line" in Tideford. Michael had Lobster and chips, £40, and I had a bowl of spicy chilli con carne, £12.95.
12th. More National Trust, this time we visited Lanhydrock House Bodmin. Yet another cream tea for Michael.
Allen and Val came round to the house to meet Michael. Then we convoyed up to Louis Tea Rooms on Kitt Hill Callington. Good old fashioned home cooked food. Every night is OAP night with specials. Main course, dessert and a pot of tea for £7.25 per person.

13th. Allen came round to collect Michael and I and took us to Plymouth Fish Market, Allen's old stamping ground. Allen, with his Dad, their own fishing boat. Michael bought a live crab plus two skinned Dover Soles. Allen was going to prepare the crab for us to collect later on. Allen dropped us off home, the Dover Soles we put in the fridge.
Then we was off to the Bodmin/Wenford steam railway. Yet another cream tea for Michael, I had a ham roll.
Back to Waitrose to buy some salad plus a couple bottles of wine. Onto Allen's to collect the prepared crab.
Michael said it was the best crab he had ever eaten. I had a ham salad.

14th. Local today. Visited the Saltash Heritage Centre, my first visit. A very interesting place to see. Then we walked onto have a look at the rebuilt station in Saltash. Finished off with a walk up the street to the cafe for another cream tea for Michael, just tea for me.
In the evening we was out to dinner, again, with Allen n Val to the "Who'd Have Thought It" Inn at St.Dommick. I drove so that Allen and Michael could have a beer. Michael picked up the bill.

15th. Banana to the garage to top up her fuel tank ready for the return trip. Then I took Michael to the restaurant at Tamar Nurseries for his last cream tea, I had one as well but gave the cream to Michael. Then we had a drive out to Gunnislake to the railway. So Michael could see the end of the line. Home via Tavistock.
Dinner at home tonight. I cooked chicken with potato waffles and veg.

16th. We left Saltash at 06.20 and was having a cuppa in Michaels house by 11am. We went shopping. Then for dinner we had our Dover Soles plus veg. Those fillets of fish were huge compared to what you buy from the fishmongers.
17th. Laura came over and we went to dinner at "The Orange Tree", where Michael paid the hefty bill.
18th. I left Michaels at 04.30 and was home by 08.55.

In all a cracking time was had by all. But so good to get back to normal.

Many thanks for reading.

Keep Safe till we meet again.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote