View Single Post
Old 31st August 2021, 23:34   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just had a look at the flashpoint of these two liquids.Flash point of petrol= -45F. Flashpoint of Ethanol = over 60 degrees.Wonder what effect this will have on the starting ability of our motors will be in a really cold winter? My guess is that it will take longer, and if your battery is not in tip top condition, perhaps not atall. On the other hand, will this mean that our engines will run cooler? Can not wait to find out.Filled mine up today with half a tank of the E10 because my tank was half full with E5. Does that make it E7.5?
I dont think it would matter. Since it is 10% the flash point is not going to be raised that much. The initial spark will still create the source of ignition. (flash point is irrelevant without a source of ignition and compression?, auto ignition from what I gather would be more along the lines of your concern - which would be considerably higher than -45F etc or else petrol stations would be blowing up all over the place lol).

Quality spark plugs, air flow, combustion chambers in good condition will be as important as the battery being in good fettle.

From what I have read (albeit briefly), the major concern for E10 is more related to the seals and pipework, rather than any running issue.

As for it being 7.5, yes I believe it would be something like that lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote