View Single Post
Old 13th March 2022, 18:38   #51
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
It's sad really, especially if your Rover is your daily driver. They really are classics now, to be preserved and used minimally. I had to sell mine for another reason, hard to get in and out but decisions will have to be made whether owners keep running them due to escalating fuel costs. I made an impulse buy with an Astra 1.6 with low mileage but that has now gone, replaced by a Golf Plus 1.9 TDi Auto.
I think they are at the stage where it costs more to maintain them than their resale value, especially if several things crop up at once. This is what sends most cars to the breaker's yard I suspect.

I've spent £2,000 on mine in the last two months and its insurance value is £770. So on the face of it this could be seen as an illogical decision. However, I'm not planning on selling it so the retail value is meaningless, I only do 100 or so miles a week in it so the fuel cost isn't a deal breaker and it was bought and paid for on the day I drove it away, nine years ago, so there's no £250 a month contract hanging round my neck for years as there would be if I leased a car or bought one on HP.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote