View Single Post
Old 15th March 2022, 07:34   #60
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Lots of posts here with plenty of common sense. I think a lot of people struggling with fuel prices will also be paying monthlies for leased/PCP cars and might now find it unaffordable.

I've had a few comments since I bought my 2.5 as a daily in September and fuel prices have gone only one way, but before this I spent 7 years or so paying PCP across 3 cars. No hard feelings to the dealers etc, I had most recently a 69 plate Focus ST which I could not have afforded cash up front. Before that I had a Mini Cooper S brand new, kept it 4 years and over 40k miles, great car.

However, I got fed up of paying £300+/month before I'd driven anywhere so decided to transfer my hobby of looking after MG Rover cars (had a couple of TFs) to a daily as well. Got a 75 in good condition, 40k miles and now I commute in comfort with no monthlies and the price of the 75 was comfortably less than just the deposit on the Focus.

Petrol wise my commute is driving from semi-urban into a town centre, so never got much above 32mpg on about 110 miles/week. Admittedly it's now down to 25/26 but the cost has got to go up a hell of a lot before I'm anywhere near where I was before. I know the 2 cars aren't equivalent but it's why I'm not too worried. Suppose it all depends on circumstances.

However, there will also be people right on the breadline. Who are already driving a cheaper, older car because it's all they can afford and their only means of earning a living, where a substantial increase in petrol costs really will hurt them and their families. What we do for these people is a tough one because I'm not sure how they can help themselves, if they are already driving the cheapest car they can. Unfortunately the result may be it's not worth their while working at all.

Last edited by TomTheTyke; 15th March 2022 at 09:44..
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote