Thread: KV6 Thermostats
View Single Post
Old 17th July 2021, 22:36   #16
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Quick report back.

So, testing first: without opening the thermostat this did prove difficult but measuring out 130ml of hot water with the temperature maintain at 83 to 83.4°c showed the springs around the thermostat shaft didn't appear to move a great deal if at all.

At 90°c, we noticed the springs begin to compress slightly.

At 87°c the springs also began to move slowly. As said, doing this with the thermostat housing still intact was difficult. So it is far far from an exact measurement but I felt confident in the new thermostat.

I set about removing the top half of the engine ancillaries and there was a marked difference in the thermostats and thermostat housings themselves.

I would post pictures but aren't able to at the present time.

The bottom of the thermostat showed two completely different thermostat designs.

The removed thermostat housing had no etching of sub assembly number or the 82°c etching that many people mention. It was completely blank.

On the underside of the high frequency welded joint on the new part there was what appeared to be a sub assembly part number possibly, the one removed from the car didn't have anything etched or stamped.

There was very clearly a difference between the two thermostat housing and thermostat design.

The car is almost back together however I had to down tools at 10pm. I'm hoping to finish things off tomorrow. I'm feeling hopeful that the new thermostat will be totally fine.
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote